“Scrambled Egg and Crêpe Casserole is our new brunch favorite. Homemade crepes (that you can freeze ahead!) are wrapped around ham-and-cheese scrambled eggs and smothered in an rich cheese sauce—definitely company-worthy!” – Shannon Satterwhite, Southern Living Food Director.
Scrambled Egg and Crêpe Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped baked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese Sauce (see below)
- Fresh Herb Crêpes (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add ham, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from skillet, and wipe skillet clean.
2. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add green onions; sauté 1 minute. Add eggs, salt, and pepper, and cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until eggs begin to set on bottom. Gently draw cooked edges away from sides and across bottom of skillet to form large curds, using a spatula. Repeat procedure, cooking until eggs are thickened but still moist (about 6 to 7 minutes). Remove from heat, and gently fold in ham and 2 cups Cheese Sauce.
3. Spoon about 1/3 cup egg mixture down the center of each crêpe; roll up. Place in a lightly greased 13- x- 9-inch baking dish (or divide among smaller dishes). Spoon remaining Cheese Sauce over crêpes. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) freshly shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and whisk in cheese and salt until smooth.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, basil, and tarragon)
- Vegetable cooking spray
1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients until blended. Cover and chill 1 hour. Stir in herbs.
2. Coat bottom of a 6-inch crêpe pan or heavy skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
3. Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter into pan; quickly tilt pan in all directions so batter evenly covers bottom of pan. Cook 1 minute or until crêpe can be shaken loose from pan. (Do not turn crêpe.) Place crêpe on a dish towel to cool. Repeat procedure with remaining batter, coating pan with cooking spray between batches.
Note: To make ahead, stack cooled crêpes between sheets of waxed paper, and place in a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Chic Galleria Editor-in-Chief Beth Anderson is a member of the the Southern Living Porch Community.
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More Chic Recipes:
LEAVE A COMMENT - No comments