A salad combo like this one proves that flavor-rich dishes don’t have to be guilty pleasures–you can’t beat the health factor of pita sandwiches and a fresh salad! Pita makes a much better base for a fruit sandwich than regular wheat or french bread, and adding creamy almond butter to the mix creates a heavenly combination. Enjoy these snacks while lounging by the pool or at a picnic.
- 1 whole wheat pita, cut into 4 triangles
- ¼ cup almond butter or other nut butter
- 1 apple, washed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 kiwi fruit, washed and sliced
- ½ cup cucumber, washed and cubed
- ½ cup tomatoes, washed and chunked
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp. lowfat dressing
- Divide ingredients for two servings.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of nut butter in each pita triangle.
- Place ¼ of sliced apples in each triangle along with one half of a sliced kiwi.
- Toss cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and dressing together.
What are your favorite ingredients to pair with fruit in a sandwich?
Produce for Kids encourages healthy eating among families by providing simple, healthy meal solutions and resources for parents, while raising funds for local children’s non-profit organizations. PFK recently launched the Get Healthy, Give Hope campaign with 16 major supermarket chains across the country to raise money for children’s cancer research.